Home About Me Travel Expat Life Image Map

Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Aussie-isms - "Cross" and "Knickers" Edition

I admit it: as much as I enjoy a good Aussie accent, there are some things about Aussie English that do irritate me.  My tolerance has shortened for the tendency to abbreviate just about everything.  It's not breakfast, avocado, mosquito, afternoon, McDonald's, thank you, etc. Nope, it's brekkie, avo, mozzie, arvo/arvie, Macca's, and Ta.  It may just be me, but I do not feel very thanked or appreciated when someone says, "Ta."  But that's a rant/tangent for another day...

I've also run across more than a few words that they use that at times make me feel like it really is a foreign language they're speaking.  A few examples that come to mind: lollie (name used for any kind of candy), thongs (flip flops, NOT underwear), bloke (guy, man), coldie (a beer), bush (the Outback or basically anywhere with lots of trees/brush), heaps (lots!), and heaps more I can't think of at the moment. 

I do sometimes hear words that they use that I find totally endearing.  Two examples being: "cross" and "knickers."  I've been working a few days a week as a teacher aide at one of the local schools, and this is where I've heard these two words used most. 

*Knickers:
One day last week, the kids in the class I was working in had swim lessons in the arvo.  I just rolled my eyes at myself for typing that.  Oh, and Aussies are big on water safety and swim lessons, FYI, so the younger kids usually get swim lessons at school.  The kiddos I was with were pretty young and so needed some help when getting dressed to return to school.  I can't tell you how adorable it was when I heard one of the little girls shout that she couldn't find her knickers (don't worry, they were soon found).  Knickers.  Totally adorable.  Love it!

*Cross:
Cross as in the adjective, not the noun or verb.  Cross as in "Ms. Megan (except they say Meeeeegan, which drives me insane but whatever), so and so won't stop bothering me and he's making me cross."  I also often hear teachers saying, "so and so don't make that cross face at me!"  OR "You better get to your seat and do your work- you don't want to see me get cross with you!"  Even better is that the kids have the most amazing "cross faces."  Here's a random Google Images photo that I found of a "cross face." It is seriously amazing.  And I absolutely plan on practicing my best cross face.  You should, too.  :-) 

4 comments:

  1. My face is often cross when grading...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your face won't be cross when grading Amanda K.'s papers next year :-)

      Delete
  2. Ha! I can see knickers being an Aussie-ism- although it is originally British (my family is English so refer to underwear/knickers as "pants" which is weird to me as trousers are pants here and they call bloomers "netball knickers" as in the "modesty" pair that go over your underwear. Does that make sense?) I had no idea that "cross" was an Aussie thing. What do Americans call it?

    Yes, we are definitely big on abbreviation. It drives me a bit mad sometimes but then as I said, I've grown up in a household with the "Queen's english" so I have a foot on either side of the fence. There aren't many Megans in Aus (there I go abbreviating!) pronounced Meg-han the American way. Good luck educating the kiddies to pronounce it properly. (ooh another abbreviation!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the term, "cross." Something about it is just charming to me. I guess Americans would probably say grumpy, upset, or angry (or maybe even pissed off) :-)

      The abbreviations are growing on me- quite convenient sometimes! It rained here for the first time in forever recently, and I learned a new one that I really liked- "Brelly"= umbrella. Aussies are very efficient :-)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! I love hearing from you!