Home About Me Travel Expat Life Image Map

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Longing

Gladstone is a small town. 
With only a couple main streets that you have to frequent to get just about anywhere. 
One of those main streets takes you right by the airport- the very small airport with only a few flights in and out each day. 
So it is rare that I happen to be driving by while a plane is departing or arriving.
I have to confess though, that when it does happen that a plane is taking off as I pass, I feel an overwhelming sense of longing. 
For a short moment, I wish that I was on that plane-wherever it was going. 
Because most likely it is headed somewhere closer to the things and people that I love.
It's almost like I'm jealous of the strangers crammed onto that plane and for a moment wish it were me.
It's not that I'm unhappy here, or sad all the time, or terribly homesick.
Because I'm not.  In fact I really do like it here. 
I know what an amazing (and temporary) opportunity this is, and for the most part am really loving this time.
I guess it's just a momentary reminder of how far away I really am. 
It's not that I necessarily wish I was somewhere else, because I know that is no way to live.
I think it's more that I wish I could be in more than one place at once. 
 

2 comments:

  1. love you seester! i wish you were closer too! one day, one of those airplanes will have me and kevin inside it! (and maybe a stowaway puppy or two).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, seester! I can't wait for that day!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! I love hearing from you!