Home About Me Travel Expat Life Image Map

Friday, March 15, 2013

My BIRTHday

Growing up, my mom always loved to tell her kids the story of our "BIRTHdays" each year.  I think most of the time, we thought it was silly and would say things like, "MooooOOOOm! Why are you telling this story again?!"  But she persisted.  Now that I'm older, I definitely appreciate it much more.  I now love hearing this story and other peoples' birth stories!  This year, my mom typed it out and sent it to me on my birthday.  SO, in honor of my birthday TODAY- I thought it would be fun to share the story of my BIRTHday :-) 

A few notes:
-Mimi = my grandmother
-Lauren = my older sister
-I WAS indeed a large baby (9+ pounds)
-I do, in fact, still hate napping

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, 29 years ago today (March 14) Mimi arrived at our home, while I prepared to go to St. Joseph's hospital at 6:00 the following morning (March 15). Of course Lauren was very excited and planning her day with Mimi the next day. I knew my labor was to be induced due to speculation that you were a large baby and my due date was Mid March. I was happy to be able to get up the next morning, shower, do my hair, shave my legs, (I must have been stressed because I didn't realize until I was in the car that I only shaved one)!

Dad and I were at the hospital and ready to go on time, so anxious to hold my little baby, sex and name unknown. Since labor was induced, everything went smoothly, and I elected to have an epideral, so I don't recall any pain. I do remember fainting several times in bed due to low blood pressure. When this happened my bed needed to be adjusted so the head of the bed was lower than my feet, and I was then put on oxygen. Once my blood pressure went up, the bed was returned to normal position. This happened several times. Try delivering a baby with head down!

Everything continued well until 12:49 PM., when little you appeared! I remember you being long and thin, and very peaceful. Quickly after that you went a little blue which concerned the doctor, so you were quickly removed from the delivery room and I didn't see you again for about two hours, as the doctor was watching you closely. After that all was well, and we both went home the next day. Oh, Dad and I couldn't agree on a name, so you left as baby Grant. I wanted to name you Maggie, but Dad insisted that reminded him of Mimi's cat. He won-

You were a very good baby, although you did not like to nap. Maybe this explains why you don't like napping today as an adult! Your sister Lauren loved you, even though several days later she bit your foot. Such a pest!!

Well, that's the traditional story of Megan's birth. A story I love to tell you year after year. This was one of the favorite days of my life. There is nothing more magnificent than the birth of your own child, and what a special child you are!

I love and miss you. See you soon, Mom


Obviously not a newborn here, but this was the youngest photo of myself with my mom that I have here with me in Australia. 

5 comments:

  1. My mom told me a lot about my BIRTHday as well and I always liked knowing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday seester! I am sorry (sort of) for bitting your foot. It was probably funny! Love you. PS - I don't remember mom ever telling me my BIRTHday story. Probably because she loves you more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of COURSE she loves me more ;-) But I still think I remember her telling you your BIRTHday story. I'm glad that bite mark didn't scar :-)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! I love hearing from you!