Home About Me Travel Expat Life Image Map

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

8K Pride

This past weekend, I ran in Gladstone's own "Botanic to Bridge" 8K race. 


I should emphasize that I am not, by any means, a runner.  Some people enjoy running- saying that they love the "runner's high" and that it clears their minds.  I am not one of those people.  I've never experienced this so-called "runner's-high," and you better believe that my head is not clear when I run.  In fact, it's pretty much just the opposite- I am hyper aware the entire time I am running that I am indeed running, that it hurts, and basically reasoning with myself the entire time not to stop.  However, all that aside, I know what a great workout running is, so I'd been trying to run just once a week over the past few months and ever so gradually increasing my mileage. 

I've known about this race for several months and had the idea in the back of my head that it really would be fun to participate.  There isn't really much in the way of community events like this in Gladstone, so I really thought it would be a good experience.  However, as much as I hate to admit it, I didn't sign up until the last minute or even mention it to anyone, basically because I wanted a way out.  Isn't that terrible? 

At any rate, I signed up exactly one week before the race, and off I went on Sunday morning.  I was pretty nervous, as the furthest I had ever run was 4 miles... once... ever.  And the 8K race is approximately 5 miles.  I had just two goals for the race:
1.) No walking
2.) Finish under one hour

Sunday morning I met up with my friend, Jackie, and her husband.  It was fun to have someone to participate with even though we all ran separately at our own paces. 

How cruel is it to start a race with a giant hill?!
Jackie and I: BEFORE
 
 
Sea of blue
Aside from the giant hill to start off the race, and a couple other pretty steep hills, the race went surprisingly well!  I met my two goals (!), and I was so proud of that!  And of course, I'm really glad I decided to run the race.  It's crazy to think that I ran the farthest I had ever run before! 

Not that I was counting down or anything...
Pounding pavement
8K Finisher!
Jackie and I: AFTER - We did it!
 photo signature.jpg

5 comments:

  1. Good job, Meggers!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohooo!!!

    Thought about you and SO happy to hear that YOU DID IT and made your goal. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks! I'm really glad I decided to do it!

      Delete
  3. Wow way to go! I have to give you major props because I hate running. How amazing that you reached your goals too congrats! - and you don't even look exhausted or even tired in your after picture - you rock!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love hearing from you!