Home About Me Travel Expat Life Image Map

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Expat to Expat Q & A {August Questions}

Linking up with Belinda and Bailie for this month's Expat to Expat Q & A!

Found Love. Now What?

1. What is your favorite food store in your city and why?
Well, to be quite honest, there aren't a whole lot of options.  However, I am pretty loyal to one food/grocery store here in Australia, and that is Woolworth's.  And since it's Australia and everything here is required to be abbreviated, I meant to say "Woolie's."  When I first moved, I was actually kind of nervous about what grocery shopping in another country would be like.  The first couple times, were a little overwhelming and did take like 2 hours, but I've since found that this store does for the most part have most things I need.  Don't get me started on Mexican food ingredients though...


Looks mostly the same as grocery stores in the US...
Except, I'm still getting used to seeing items like this:

 
2. For your answer to number 1 is it ok to buy the store brand items or do you pay extra for a name brand?

I've never been finicky about brand name versus generic.  I pretty much always just buy what is cheaper... and sometimes that is surprisingly the brand name.   
 
3. What do you think is the best way to get about your city? i.e. bus, bike, car, etc.
 
For being a small town, you would think getting around by foot or bike would be a good option here.  Unfortunately, this isn't the case.  Although it is a small town, things are pretty spread out, making a car absolutely necessary.  A bike could be useful in some instances, however, from about September through November, bike riding can be somewhat of a dangerous adventure.  You see, during that time of year, a native bird here- the magpie- is in the middle of its mating and nesting season.  These birds are extremely territorial during that time, and are known to literally stalk and even sometimes become aggressive to people on bikes or those walking/running.  It sounds made up, but it's true!  People brave enough to ride bikes during this time don't do so without ridiculous-looking zip ties poking out of their helmets as a magpie deterrent.  This is no joke, people!

 
via
via
 4.. Which store do you turn to for basics like toilet paper or cleaning supplies?

 There's not really anything similar to Target or Walmart here, which is where I bought those items in the States.  Here, I usually buy basics like TP or cleaning supplies at the grocery store, or sometimes even the pharmacy (which they actually call "the chemist" here).   
 
5. Where do you think is the best place in your city to get a cup of coffee (or beverage you prefer) and catch up with friends?
 
Since Australia has a lot of British influence, morning and afternoon tea/coffee are a pretty big part of daily life here.  So for a small town, there are a surprising number of coffee shops to choose from.  I myself don't like coffee, but I've become quite a chai tea latte aficionado since being here.  My favorite coffee place is probably "The Hungry Cow."  I love this place because it has tons of outdoor seating, and their chai lattes are great.  They also have a really great lunch and dinner menu as well. 
David sitting on one of the many cow seats you can actually sit on at the Hungry Cow
 
Plus these questions from Emma, at Adventures of a London Kiwi:
  • What was your “eureka, I’m practically a native” moment?
Truthfully, I don't think I've actually had one of these "eureka" moments yet, in fact, someone jokingly called me "fresh off the boat" just the other day.  I do still feel like a fish out of water most of the time.  Although when I do meet someone from the US who has just moved here, then I do feel pretty "native" in some ways. 
  • Does your real accent get in the way?
Yes! I notice this mostly at work.  Although, it's not so much the "accent" that gets in the way, but more the difference in American English vs. Australian English.  There are SO many words and phrases that differ in these supposed "same" languages.  I can't tell you how many "stupid moments" I've had at work when someone asks me something or asks me to do something for them and I have no idea what they're talking about.  Same goes for when I'm communicating with students.  If I tell them to throw something away, go to the restroom, use an eraser, write the letter z or h, or share markers- I get blank stares.  I'm still learning to instead say: put your rubbish in the bin, go to the toilet, use a rubber, write the letter "haych" or "zed," share your textas. 


 photo signature.jpg

12 comments:

  1. I loved this. I think I would have to g used to seeing kangaroo in the grocery store too. And those magpies, holy cow! Growing up in Georgia we had birds that would dive bomb cats, but never people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello from the link-up!

    I have heard that kangaroo meat is very lean and good for you compared to beef etc. I think I would find it odd to see that in a supermarket but I would give it a try!

    The magpie thing is a bit like our seagulls except they attack all year round if they think you have food! I love the cycle helmet to keep them away - so awesome haha!

    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for linking up with us! Those helmet things are hilarious, I would for sure drive to be safe but I know some people are just die hard bike riders as I have seen people riding through the snow where I live which is just insane!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Magpie thing is scary! I think it would take me a while getting used to kangaroo steaks , which is completely illogical really. Love the hungry cow seat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow- I had no idea that letters would be pronounced differently. So interesting!

    KK

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kangaroo fillet!? I didn't even know you could eat kangaroos. Then again, I think you can pretty much eat everything. I know in Japan they serve whale and horse meat. Those birds sound scary! I loved reading your answers to see a little into what life is like in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you been brave enough to try the Kangaroo fillet yet? I'm not sure I would be...
    The swooping Magpies is rather surreal as well!
    Have you found yourself picking up Aussie phrases yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried "kangaroo spring rolls." It was alright... pretty gamey. Glad I tried it, but not something I will probably repeat. A few Aussie phrases have indeed found their way out of my mouth.. mostly in work situations. I really resist it though for some reason- I'm stubborn I guess. :-)

      Delete
  8. This was a great read! I had no idea that Woolies still existed in Aus. It's funny that the UK, USA and Aus all had different versions of the store. I was so sad when Woolies in the UK died - it was a strange store without coherence but somehow you always knew what weird items they stocked, including sweets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! :-) Woolies has really grown on me, and now I shop exclusively there. And I also enjoy the candy/sweets aisle :-)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! I love hearing from you!