Home About Me Travel Expat Life Image Map

Friday, October 18, 2013

Easy Postcard Project For Travel Memories

I'm not very crafty, creative, or otherwise talented in the DIY arena most of the time.  I get easily intimidated by crafts and creative projects.  However, one thing I do love (and I like to think I excel at) is being a pen-pal... and anything else related to stationery and cards.  I have always loved to write and send letters, cards and postcards, and for as long as I can remember, I've been in the habit of sending at least a few postcards whenever I travel somewhere.  So when we moved to Australia, I wanted to make sure I kept that habit.  Something I also really wanted to prioritize during our time here was keeping track of all the places we've seen and all the memories made in those places. 

So when I stumbled on this simple travel postcard project idea from my all time favorite blog Young House Love just a few weeks before our move, I knew it was a craft/DIY project I could definitely handle!  It's so easy for me, because it involves something I do anyway.  When I'm picking out postcards to send to a few friends/family during a trip, I just make sure I remember to pick out one extra for us!  Then, all you do is write a postcard to yourself describing what you saw, did, loved, favorite places, funny travel mishaps, etc. on your trip.  Then I just bring it home with us, and toss it in this dish on our coffee table.  It's fun to look through them from time to time and it's a great conversation starter- PLUS it looks pretty!

Our collection so far- 19 and counting...

A few of our recent postcards



Postcard project on our coffee table (among the few Fall decorations I have)

Here's the link to the original project idea found on YHL:
http://www.younghouselove.com/2008/08/post-haste/

 photo signature.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Is that a pumpkin spice candle I spy? Love the postcard idea, I'm totally copying you. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, this is so sweet! I've written a few self-postcards, but love the idea of using it as a decoration piece. They are such nice little things to reminisce on :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love hearing from you!