Home About Me Travel Expat Life Image Map

Sunday, December 07, 2014

Thanksgiving For Two (Three)

I think I will always remember Thanksgiving 2014 as one of my favorite Thanksgivings.  It didn't pan out exactly like we thought it would, but it ended up being just perfect.  

We had originally (albeit tentatively) planned to spend Thanksgiving in Austin with David's family.  My OB had said it was probably OK for me to travel there by car, but the general rule of thumb is that it's best to not go more than an hour away from your hospital when you are within 30 days of your due date.  We went back and forth about what to do, but we finally decided (perhaps in a bit of an anti-social move) to stay in Houston.  Once we made the decision, it was a huge relief. I was a little sad about our first Thanksgiving back in the US feeling a bit lonely, but I know we made the right decision.  



Some yummy pumkin bread I made the night before Thanksgiving
Thursday and Friday were David's first days off since moving back from Australia, so I know he especially was looking forward to a long weekend without any big obligations, road trips, etc. I ordered a pre-made turkey breast, stuffing, gravy, and some dinner rolls from Central Market (Texas' version of Whole foods), and then I made a few sides and my favorite apple pie.  It felt like such a cheat, but it was SO nice to just wait in a (not too long) line and pick up most of what we would need for dinner.  Plus, with just the two of us, we didn't need mass amounts of everything.  


Waiting in this line was a much better alternative to making my own turkey. Totally worth it!
I spent the morning and afternoon doing some cooking, watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, and just relaxing.  It was a beautiful day, and I even convinced David to take a little walk around the neighborhood with me.  One of the best parts of the day was that I didn't ever change out of my pajamas, put on makeup, or even take a shower- oops.  Dinner was great and so nice and low key.  We missed family and friends, but I think we also really appreciated spending the holiday together as a couple, since this will be our last kid-free holiday in a long time!  

Baking pies and babies. Also, please notice how my belly rests perfectly on the kitchen counter.
I even broke out the fancy china!
The spread
I swallowed the turkey!
Dessert time. The best time. 
On Friday I deep cleaned the nursery and then we got the new rug I ordered laid out.  I also did a little Black Friday shopping... from the comfort of my couch.  

Baby officially has the cleanest (and shiniest!) room in the house. 
Saturday was officially deemed "Baby Day."  We started the day off by having maternity photos taken. We really lucked out with a  beautiful day, and it was fun to spend time together documenting our soon-to-be family of three.  I'm still waiting on photos, otherwise, I would share some here.  After photos, we took a little break and then started in on checking tons of things off our baby list... things that really probably should have been done a while ago.  Whatever, we work well under pressure.  Here's what we accomplished: crib assembly, stroller assembly (so excited for my BOB!), co-sleeper/bassinet assembly, car seat is ready to go, and play yard/bassinet assembly (this will be our downstairs baby sleep/diaper station so we aren't constantly climbing stairs).  We were both exhausted by the end of the day, but it felt really good to finally get those things done!  



Can't believe a tiny human will be sleeping (hopefully) next to me so soon!
 


I will always have great memories of this Thanksgiving weekend as our last as just a family of two. I can't even wrap my mind around the fact that we will have a nearly one year old this time next year.  

 photo signature.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by! I love hearing from you!