Home About Me Travel Expat Life Image Map

Monday, May 13, 2013

Sorry I'm Not Sorry

Day 13, Monday: Issue a public apology. This can be as funny or as serious or as creative as you want it to be.

Dear Shoeless Australians,

Sorry, but I'm not sorry for thinking it is totally unacceptable and gross to not wear shoes in public places.  Yes, I am judging you when I see you do this, and you will get the side eye from me.  I like to be barefoot as much as the next person, but I just cannot wrap my head around or get used to the fact that so many people here go shoeless in public places. 

Although I am most likely judging you, I also am somewhat concerned for you.  Of all places to go barefoot, really Australia is probably not the best place to do so.  I mean, you're dealing with high temperatures (how do your feet not burn?!) and a high concentration of poisonous snakes and insects.  Shouldn't you be protecting your feet from these dangers?  Also, can we talk a bit about how unsanitary and unhygienic this is?  Do I need to list out some of the unmentionables that you might be stepping in and then carrying around with you into your homes, beds, restaurants, the grocery store, etc.?  Just yuck.  In America we have something called "no shirt, no shoes, no service," and I think this slogan would be invaluable here. 

Australia, I enjoy your country and your culture, and I am soaking in and appreciating as much of it is I can.  However, this no shoes thing?  I'm sorry, I just can't accept or deal with it.  Not OK. 

Sorry I'm not sorry,
Megan

Sneaky photo I snapped of an all too common sight here.  <<shudder>>
Catch up with my "Blog Every Day in May" challenge here:

Day 2
Day 3
Day 4
Day 5 (Oops! :-/ I did blog on day 5, just not following the prompt...)
Day 6

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE not wearing my shoes, it's an antipodean thing but in a country with at least 5 of the 10 most deadly snakes? Not on your nelly.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love hearing from you!