Home About Me Travel Expat Life Image Map

Tuesday, May 07, 2013

What Scares Me?

Day 7, Tuesday: The thing(s) you're most afraid of

Left: Huntsman Spider found in our house - Right: Tree Snake at the neighbor's house
I'd like to think I'm not a very "fearful" person.  I don't really have any phobia-type fears.  I'm not afraid of heights (as proven here). I'm not afraid of flying- in fact, I really enjoy it.  Although I think spiders and snakes are disgusting, there's no arachnophobia or snake-phobia here.  I'm not a very superstitious person, so I can't claim triskaidekaphobia.  It's funny though, because while I wouldn't consider myself prone to fears or phobias, I also don't really consider myself a particularly brave individual. 

Up until about ten years ago, I probably would have said I was afraid of change.  But I think I've pretty much overcome this, or at least become more comfortable with it.  All the moving around I've done and starting over in new places away from friends and family in the past ten years or so has pretty much taken care of this issue for me.  Although, I still do tend to prefer continuity and predictability, I can deal much better with big changes now. 

But I still haven't successfully addressed today's prompt.  What am I most (or at least very) afraid of? 

Of course, like most all people I'm absolutely afraid of the death (especially the sudden one) of a loved one, but I think that goes without saying.

So, I guess I would have to say I'm afraid of natural disasters.  Growing up in Arizona, we are pretty much safe from most natural disasters.  When I moved to Los Angeles, I was always nervous about earthquakes.  I would get very anxious while driving if the traffic stopped or slowed and I was on top of, or worse, under a bridge.  Eeek!  What scared me most about earthquakes is that there really is no warning whatsoever that one is coming.  By sheer luck, in my two years in Los Angeles, I never once experienced an earthquake.  Phew!  No joke, about 3 weeks after I moved to Houston, there was a pretty sizable earthquake in LA.  I had made it out just in time!  Or so I thought.  From L.A., I moved to Houston, and less than two months after my move, Houston was hit with Hurricane Ike.  I guess my luck had run out!  Hurricane Ike was scary, but luckily we got out of town before it hit, so I really didn't have to experience the worst part of the storm.  Now in Australia, I have cyclones to worry about.  Sheesh!  My mom always likes to remind me that if I would just move back to Phoenix, I wouldn't have to worry about any of these natural disasters.  Maybe she's right...

 
Catch up with my "Blog Every Day in May" challenge here:
Day 1
Day 2
Day 3
Day 4
Day 5 (Oops! :-/ I did blog on day 5, just not following the prompt...)
Day 6


4 comments:

  1. You sound like a traveling gypsy. Why do you move so much, work? Hope your luck continues. Good luck also with the rest of the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Australia and Houston moves were because of my husband's job. The moves prior to that were for either work or school. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. We have no natural disasters in Scotland:) I'm enjoying reading your blogpost:) I need to do something like this! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better stay in Scotland then! :-) You should join in this blog challenge- it's not too late!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! I love hearing from you!