Home About Me Travel Expat Life Image Map

Sunday, September 01, 2013

My One Year "Aussie-versary"

It has officially been one year since I moved to Australia... one year since I changed countries, continents, hemispheres, and multiple time zones.  I cannot believe my one year "anniversary" of living in Oz land is here.  It seems like yesterday and a million years ago at the same time...



Welcome gift from David: Australian wine, flowers, chocolates, and keys to our new car!
...I remember so clearly how I felt leaving Houston and saying goodbye to our home, which I wrote about here
...I even remember the taxi driver who picked me up and the conversation we had on the way to the airport.  I was fighting back tears most of the ride there, so I told him I was just going to visit a friend, as to avoid having to talk about the big step I was about to make.  I'm sure he was curious about my ridiculous amount of luggage though. 
...I remember very specifically when the pilot made the announcement that the plane doors were closed and we were ready for take off.  No turning back now.  Not that I ever would have. 
...I remember (luckily) very little of the actual 16 hour flight.
...I remember touching down in Gladstone- what would become my new home.
...And most importantly, I remember spotting my husband (who I hadn't seen in over two months) in the airport waiting to pick me up.  Up to that point, I had been very nervous and uneasy about this enormous change (I've always hated change- have I ever mentioned that?).  However, when I saw him and finally got to hug him again, I immediately felt at ease.  We were in this new place together.  And from that moment on, it was a very "us against the world/Australia" mentality. 

All of these memories that I remember so vividly, really make it seem impossible that one whole year has passed.  However, when I think about all that has happened in this one year, it really makes my move seem like it might as well have been a million years ago.  In one year SO much has happened...

...We have traveled to: Brisbane, Heron Island/ The Great Barrier Reef (twice), Melbourne, New Zealand, Sydney, Perth, and the Margaret River region. 
...We've gotten up close and personal with kangaroos, koalas, wombats, dingoes, spiders the size of your hand, laughing kookaburras., sharks, and sea turtles. 
...We survived a freakish storm during the "rainy season" that resulted in empty grocery store shelves for close to a week. 
...We learned to drive on the wrong side of the road... with minimal slip-ups. 
...We clocked countless hours on Facetime trying our best to keep in touch with friends and family.
...We managed to make the most of Thanksgiving, Christmas, birthdays, anniversaries, etc. away from loved ones. 
...We've seen more sunrises and pulled ourselves through more 4:30 AM wakeups than either of us would ever like to acknowledge. 
...But most importantly, we've managed to make a home here.  We've managed to become a team that I'm really proud of. 

What a difference a year makes, right?  One year ago I never could have imagined all that unfolded this past year.  That alone makes me really excited to see what the next year in Australia holds! 

Year two- go!

 photo signature.jpg

7 comments:

  1. Happy One Year! The rest of the years will go by super fast so enjoy it! Tell David congrats as well, big accomplishment. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Aussie-versary! I bet it flew by!

    Molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really DID fly by! We will be headed back to the states for our first visit back in December. It seems like SO far away, but at the same time, I KNOW it will be here in the blink of an eye.

      Delete
  3. I love the line "we've managed to make a home here and we've managed to become a team." After coming back home Scott and I have felt the same way. After being away from the UAE for 2 months and returning we're surprised at how much this foreign country truly feels like home. What a year you and your husband have had together - and I'm sure this year will be full of just as many adventures for you two : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - one year! You are so brave and I love staying up with your adventures via this blog. Good luck in your next year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, girl! Can't wait to hear all about your impending expat adventures :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. happy happy Aussie-versary! Looks like you had one hell of a year!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love hearing from you!