Home About Me Travel Expat Life Image Map

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Positive Impacts of Social Media In My Life


Thursday, September 12: Discuss ways that blogging or social media has changed you.
 
I like to think I'm only mildly addicted to social media.  There have got to be heaps of people who waste spend more time with these things than me, right?  Either way, I use social media, I love it, and I don't plan on cutting myself off from it anytime soon.  The social media I use includes: Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and of course, blogging.  Here's a little on how each has impacted my life... and for now, I'll focus on the positive impacts.  :-) 
 
Facebook: I think I was a Junior in college when Facebook first started to become popular... back in the day when you had to have a ".edu" email address, so it was strictly for college kids only.  To be completely honest, I wish it would have stayed that way... but that's a story for another day.  I guess I wouldn't categorize myself as a very "active" Facebook user.  But that's not to say that I don't waste a ridiculous amount of time on FB (my husband can assure you that I do)... it's just that I'm more of a"lurker" if you will. I don't post a whole lot about myself... pictures a few times a month, status updates maybe once or twice a month.  I use it mostly just to keep in touch with people and to see what is going on in people's lives.  Sometimes I learn more about their lives than I'd like to, but I'm not a shy user of the "hide/block from my news feed" option, so that's easy to fix :-) 
How It Has Impacted My Life: Because I have lived far away from my family and closest friends basically since I was 18, FB has been priceless for me and a very positive addition to my life I'd say.  It lets me stay (and feel!) connected to those that I love and care about, even when I'm hundreds or thousands of miles away. 
 
Instagram: It took me a while to jump on the Instagram bandwagon, but I LOVE it!  SUCH an easy way to get a look into what's going on in other people's daily lives.  And I love that it's mostly just pictures, so you (usually) don't have to deal with all the ridiculous political dramas, etc. that people seem to love to start over on FB.  Even my mom, dad, and 84 year old grandmother now have Instagram accounts, which I was a little nervous about, but I LOVE it actually!  It's an easy way for them to keep track of what's going on with their children who live across the country and world. 
How It Has Impacted My Life: Probably corny and cliché, but I really find it to be true that Instagram really helps me focus on and appreciate the little, but beautiful and meaningful things and events in daily life. 
 
Once of my recent favorite Instagrams
 
 
Blogging: I only started this little blog of mine about 11 months ago.  However, for about 2 or 3 years leading up to that, I was slowly becoming a blog-reading addict.  I had a growing list of blogs that I kept up with in my Reader- mainly DIY, Cooking, Lifestyle, and even some Mommy Blogs (I love these ones more than is probably normal for someone who doesn't have kids herself).  Whatever.  Since I started out just reading blogs, I think I had a really great opportunity to see what blogging is all about, the community that it can build, the connections that you can make, and the value of documenting your life.  I had wanted to start a blog for quite a while, but honestly, until we moved abroad I felt like I didn't have anything interesting (or blog-worthy) enough to write about.  So with our move to Australia, I was so excited to finally start my own blog.  There were two main purposes I had in mind when I began this blog:
1.) Stay in touch with family and friends and share about our new life on the other side of the world 
2.) Document, for myself and my husband, the many adventures we would have as we lived and travelled abroad.
However, like most any blogger will tell you, I didn't anticipate fully that blogging would also become something that would help me feel connected to a greater community. 
How It Has Impacted My Life: After moving here, I quickly found a handful of "expat blogs" that I followed along with, and that number has grown!  I still keep up with my other blogs, but at this time in my life, these other expat blogs are the ones I identify with the most- for obvious reasons.  I mentioned recently, that it really was only about 3-4 months ago that I started to feel like I had started to form a group of friends here in Australia that I saw regularly and really identified with.  So until that time, I really relied a lot on my "expat blog friends."  It was so helpful to be able to connect with people who were going through the same things as me.  It actually helped me feel really proud and excited to be an expat! 
 
I do hope that this blog stays with me through the years... even after we move back home.  Blogging has been a real gift for me this year, and I hope to continue this new hobby for years to come! 
 
 
 photo signature.jpg

5 comments:

  1. I totally get what you are saying.... I love social media and it has opened a whole new world to me.. Made the world so much smaller and introduced me to people from all over. Up until now I have mostly read gardening blogs. But, that again has given me insight into what is trendy in other cultures.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Social media really does make the world feel so much smaller. I love to feel connected to people and communities that I might otherwise have never experienced.

      Delete
  2. Your story of finding other 'expat blogs' really hits home for why I blog. I blog mostly for documentation, like you mentioned, but also finding people similar to me, going through similar things, with similar interests has brought some much needed community. But I'm just as grateful for those who are different because they got me out of my box and trying new things. Thanks for sharing your story Megan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My own obsession with instagram is worse than I care to admit, but like you, I love being able to keep up with my friends that I don't see all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this reflection on technology. I agree with you about facebook - I use it but more for keeping in touch and I've found that I use it more here in the UAE than I did back home for those same reasons. And you summed up blogging just right - I didn't realize their was this whole community of bloggers and expats and its such a great way to stay connected with like-minded people and not feel lonely. I agree that sometimes you feel like you're the only one going through something but when you read about other expats going through the same thing you feel alright! I'm glad you took a positive spin on technology.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love hearing from you!