Home About Me Travel Expat Life Image Map

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Two Houston Restaurant Faves


Tuesday, September 24: Review a book, place, or product.
 
Since I've been missing Houston a little bit lately, I thought I'd choose to review two of my favorite restaurants there!  One of the best things about Houston is the food.  Seriously.  I think I read a statistic at one point stating that Houston has the most restaurants per capita- so there is never a shortage of fun new restaurants where you can stuff your face. 
 
Restaurant Name: Zabak's Mediterranean Cafe
Type of Food: Mediterranean
What To Order: Start with a side of Hummus and Pita Bread AND a starter order of Falafel.  Their falafel is made fresh to order, and it is to die for!  For entrees, you can't really go wrong with whatever you order, but a few of my favorites are: Gyro Plate, Chicken Kabob, or Shish Kabob. 
Why It's Great: Mediterranean food is probably my favorite type of food after Mexican, and this place never disappoints.  Another thing that I love about Zabak's is that it is a small, "hole-in-the-wall" type place.  It is family owned and run- mostly by the sister/2 brother trio.  When we lived in Houston, we ate here probably 2-3 times a month, and I seriously felt like these siblings were my bffs.  They always remembered our names, were SO friendly and welcoming, and even could pretty much place our order before we even reached the counter (we're pretty predictable).  If When you go here, tell them David and Megan said hello! 
 
*Please excuse the photo quality of photos in this post.  My focus was less on photography and much more on stuffing my face. 
 
 
 
 
This is the Mediterranean Pizza- also a delicious menu option.
 
Restaurant Name: Bombay Pizza Company
Type of Food: Indian Meets Italian Pizzeria
What To Order: Do yourself a favor, and order a Sweet Potato roll (or two) as a starter.  Then, I would suggest ordering from any of the Specialty Pizzas.  My favorites are: The Slumdog and Mitul's Masala.  The pizza crusts are super thin and crispy and amazing. 
Why It's Great:  We actually found this restaurant through a Groupon I randomly purchased and we quickly became repeat visitors.  It's located in downtown Houston (although it looks like they now have a Sugarland location as well), which is a part of town we didn't visit too regularly, so it was fun to actually spend some town there- you can even sit outside!  The story behind this place is really interesting and unique- Indian/Italian fusion- crazy, right?  Nope, delicious!  In a nutshell, the restaurant was started by a mother-son team.  The son was trained in Italian cooking and cuisine, but always loved the spices and flavors of his mom's Indian cooking.  So they decided to combine the two and open this Indian-Italian Pizzeria.  If you want something unique and seriously delicious, and you live in the Houston area, go here- pronto! 
 
The Slumdog Pizza
 
 
Now that I completed that exercise in self-torture, I am STARVING and missing Houston and its good food even more.  Can't wait to visit and stuff my face at these favorites again!  In the meantime, if you're in the Houston area, please go stuff your face at these restaurants for me? 
 
  photo signature.jpg

4 comments:

  1. I've never been to either! Must try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've met my husband for lunch at Zabak's a couple times (it's great!!!), but we've never tried Bombay Pizza Co. I'll add it my spreadsheet--yes, I have a restaurant spreadsheet. You need one in this city! Ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, now I need to visit houston for the food! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shwarma, falafel, kebabs, oh my! I just found 1 vendor of delicious shwarmas in Lima (he's from Algeria) but nothing compares to those in Granada!! They're such a perfect meal :)

    PS ~ I tagged you, check out my post:
    http://aventurasdemariposas.blogspot.com/2013/09/im-tagged-6-things-about-me.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I love hearing from you!